"B&NES compares favourably to all my previous employers, especially on flexible working, on the working environment, and placing value on employees" - Lucy, Ecologist
As an employer, we aim to create an inclusive working environment where everyone can achieve a healthy work/life balance. We are serious about our responsibility for your personal and professional development, and try to ensure that you are equipped with the skills, knowledge and experience to succeed in your current role, and also to progress in your career. Our benefits package is designed to boost and maintain the health, well being and general quality of life of all our staff.
How we look after you
Security and support at work
We offer a wide range of benefits, to ensure that you are paid fairly for your work, have the flexibility to enjoy a great work/life balance, and have the support you need, for whatever life may bring.
- A competitive salary package, including career graded posts
- A range of flexible working options, including flexi-time, four regional offices and home-working, dependent on service requirements
- A generous holiday allowance and special leave provisions
- The Local Government Pension Scheme
- A comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme – whatever life throws at you, we are committed to supporting you
- Bullying and Harassment and Dignity at Work policies to protect your everyday working life
Your professional future
We invest in you, to enable you to develop personal and professional skills and progress in your career.
All new employees receive a comprehensive induction, training and development programme, with regular opportunities to update your skills and achieve your full potential. We welcome fresh thinking, recognise real talent and encourage innovation and ingenuity. If you embody these qualities, then we have no doubt you will succeed with us.
"In my career with B&NES, I've progressed from administration support to senior manager" - Lynda, Emergency and Events Manager
We train staff at all levels, so whether you are at entry level looking to develop and grow, aiming to enter a management position for the first time, or already a senior leader, we’ll provide you with the knowledge you need to progress. We have a huge range of in-work training opportunities, through our @MyBest Programme, from professional skills to accredited qualifications, including aspiring manager and leadership development, from NVQ right up to Master's degree level. We operate a Learning Zone which offers both tutor-led training as well as an E-library for a range of training purposes. We encourage Continual Professional Development, with opportunities to attend external training, secondment opportunities, and earn extra qualifications.
If you'd like to brush up on your English and/or Maths skills, we also offer specific and tailored support for you. We offer Functional Skills training for all employees over 25, raising your literacy and numeracy skills to Level 2. This is even available for first time applicants, or anyone who has previously been unsuccessful in a job application for a council position.
Travel and leisure benefits
Being part of one of the region's largest employers comes with a few handy perks to enrich your life outside the workplace.
- The Vectis Card discount scheme, which provides substantial reductions on the cost of travel, restaurants, shops and services
- An Employee Community Involvement Scheme (additional leave days for you to volunteer within your own community)
- We have a staff social club and offer reduced cost leisure centre membership, through our partners GLL. We have a number of leisure centres close to our offices across the region, making a gym session or a swim at lunchtime an easy proposition
- A cycle to work scheme
- An MOT service with reduced staff rates
- The Discovery Card scheme, available to all of our staff who are resident in B&NES, offers free entry to some of Bath's most popular visitor attractions: the Roman Baths, Fashion Museum, Victoria Art Gallery and Parade Gardens