School crossing patrols
With the busy traffic across our Authority it takes a special type of person to stop the traffic in order so pedestrians can cross the road safely. The role of a lollipop person is at a suitable time, hold up the sign to stop moving traffic, walk to the middle of the road and ask the waiting pedestrians to cross. Traffic is required by law to stop when the sign is raised. Traffic may only move when the patrol is back on the footway with the sign lowered and it is safe to continue driving.
As a school crossing patrol or ‘lollipop’ person you would be working at one of our 36 sites across the authority.
As part of your duties you could be expected to:
- Assess when it is safe to stop traffic
- Help children and adults to cross the road safely
- Control children who are waiting to cross the road
- Work in all weather conditions.
- Identify and report faults with hazard warning lights
- Report vehicles who fail to stop to your supervisor and/or the police
- Complete paperwork on accidents or incidents that happen while on duty
If you love working outdoors, enjoy helping and meeting people, a job as a lollipop person could be exactly what you’re looking for. We pay an hourly rate of £8.84.
Qualities we are looking for
- Be friendly but assertive when dealing with people
- Have good time keeping skills and be reliable
- Be able to work on your own and using your own initiative
- Be physically fit, walking, standing for over an hour and holding sign weighing 2 kilos
We’ll provide you with an instantly recognisable uniform and the famous Lollipop sign. The before you start work you’ll receive a range of training covering
- Child protection
- How to operate a pedestrian crossing including how to use your Stop sign or ‘lollipop’
- School crossing patrol laws, rules and regulations.
- Personal and Public Health Safety
Want to find out more
The National Careers Service has further information about the role of a school crossing patrol person.
Request a call back
You can apply for a role at any of those schools via our Job Website - Permanent School Crossing Patrol Vacancy
In addition to permanent positions, we urgently need casual staff across the authority, so if you can spare a few hours a week then you can apply for Casual School Crossing Patrol positions.